How to Write a Strong Term Paper in APA style
There are many good styles of writing that are generally acceptable. However, especially for students in the schools social sciences, the APA style is most preferable. This style is governed by two major rules. First, the tense used must either be past or present perfect tense. Also, the dates of publication for any source must be featured immediately after naming the source. Apart from these basic rules, when writing a paper in APA style one must follow a few more guidelines.
- Page numbers should be at the upper right hand corner.
- The whole paper must be double-spaced. This includes quotations and notes.
- All titles of books, periodicals, films and recordings must be underlined.
- At the top, bottom, left and right of every page, the margin should be at least one inch.
- To acknowledge any direct or indirect quotations, one should use parenthetical citations. These must be found on a reference page in the term paper.
- Plagiarism should be avoided like a plague. It robs the paper of originality and is unacceptable. Acknowledging sources with citations and quotations is the way to avoid plagiarism.
- When doing citations, one should use the last name of the author and the year of publication. Commas are also used to separate the items in the parentheses.
- In case of a direct quotation of more than forty words, it should be indented five spaces from the left margin.
- Even when one is doing a direct quotation in the course of the paper, quotation marks should be avoided.
- When one is citing work done by less than six authors, then they can name all of them in the first mentioning.
- In cases where the author of some work is identified as anonymous, then the student should treat anonymous as the real name of the author.
- More than six authors are not to be named in a single citation. One should only mention the first one followed by et.al.
- When listing two or more books by the same author, the earliest edition must come first.
The worst nightmare of every student is academic disqualification or failure. Term papers have the potential to make a hell of life for students. However, if a student is diligent enough to perfectly apply the APA style in their paper, success is guaranteed.